About Eco Hacks
EcoHacks is a Non-Profit Organization that is hosting a 24 hour online hackathon intended to give an opportunity to High School students to explore STEM (Science,Technology, Engineering, Math) based extracurricular activities along with helping their business and marketing skills grow. EcoHacks will focus on projects that are related to the environment. We encourage everyone to join our hackathon, even if you don't have any programming experience because we want everyone to learn something new. With over 300 participants, students will also be given the opportunity to connect with other aspiring, like minded students and participate in workshops. Students will be given the chance to experience a time-crunch or a deadline for a product just like in an actual business along with presenting their business efficiently to an audience(a judge).
1. Teams must Be comprised of 1-4 people
2. All work on a project should be done during the hackathon if you are caught with pre-coded work then you may be kicked out for the remainder of the hackathon
3. Teams can use an idea they had before the event
4. Teams can use libraries, frameworks, or open-source code in their projects. Working on a project before the event and open-sourcing it for the sole purpose of using the code during the event is against the spirit of the rules and is not allowed
5. Teams can work on an idea that they have worked on before as long as they do not re-use code.
6. Adding new features to existing projects is allowed. Judges will only consider new functionality introduced or new features added during the hackathon in determining the winners.
7. Teams must stop hacking once the time is up. However, teams are allowed to debug and make small fixes to their programs after time is up. e.g. If during demoing your hack you find a bug that breaks your application and the fix is only a few lines of code, it's okay to fix that. Making large changes or adding new features is not allowed
8. Teams can be disqualified from the competition at the organizers' discretion
A hackathon is a competition in which people participate in groups to program a project from scratch. Hackathons can be anywhere from 12 - 48 hours. Online hackathons can be anywhere from 12 hours to 1 year.
Anyone from grades 8-12 can participate but anyone older is welcome to sign up as a mentor and/or judge
NO, you do not have to have to have programming experience because we as organizers will be hosting educational workshops throughout the day to help you learn programming. We want everyone that participates to have a good time and learn something new. If you are intersted in the hackathon but dont like to code then you could be the speaker during the judging time for your team
Its FREE because our sponors/donators cover the cost of absolutely everything
teams can be a maximum of 4 people. Solo teams are allowed, but we strongly encourage you to meet new people if you come by yourself! On the other hand, if you are a team of 2 or 3, one of the best things you can do is invite someone new to join your team - they will bring in new ideas and areas of expertise. At the beginning of the event, we will do our best to help everyone find a team.
In addition to a fun and unique experience to improve your maker skills with your friends, we will have amazing prizes for our best submissions! And even if you don't end up winning, everyone will get free food and swag, including T-shirts, laptop stickers, and various goodies from our sponsors!
You have an oppurtunity to have fun and work with friends for 24 hours while building your skills in programming and we also provide lots and lots of FREE STUFF. You will also make lots of connections at the hackathon which would be important for your future such as meeting judges from the CS industry and some of our judges are VPs and CEOs of tech companies./